A CHARTER ORDINANCE EXEMPTING THE CITY OF ANTHONY, KANSAS, FROM THE PROVISIONS OF K.S.A. 2000 SUPP. 12-1697(a) AND K.S.A. 12-16,101 AND PROVIDING SUBSTITUTE AND ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS ON THE SAME SUBJECT RELATING TO THE LEVY OF A TRANSIENT GUEST TAX.
Section 1. The City of Anthony, Kansas, by virtue of the power vested in it by Article 12, Section 5 of the constitution of the State of Kansas hereby elects to and does exempt itself from and make inapplicable to it K.S.A. 2000 Supp. 12-1697(a) and K.S.A. 12-16,101 which apply to this city, but which do not apply uniformly to all cities, and provide substitute and additional provisions on the same subject as hereinafter provided.
Section 2. In order to provide revenues, the governing body of the city is hereby authorized to levy a transient guest tax at not to exceed the rate of five percent upon the gross receipts derived from or paid directly or through an accommodations broker by transient guests for sleeping accommodations, exclusive of charges for incidental services or facilities, in any hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, or tourist court. The percentage of such tax shall be determined by said governing body and shall be specified in a resolution authorizing the same.
Section 3. Revenues from the levied transient tax may be used:
(1) To contract with any agency, organization or group of firms to promote the city and its environs;
(2) To provide for the operation, maintenance, expansion or development of city facilities;
(3) To defray the cost of providing municipal services;
(4) To create innovative projects and activities;
(5) To promote the general economic welfare of the city and its environs, including the attraction of industry.